• Home
  • Blog
  • Decree absolute: finished with finance?

Decree absolute: finished with finance?


Divorce and financial remedy proceedings go hand in hand as couples who are going their separate ways try to divide up their assets. But finalising your divorce does not mean that your partner can no longer make any financial claim against you. Nor does receiving your decree absolute bring any existing financial process to an end.

In short, the court will process your application for divorce but your financial involvement with your ex-partner will not be fully  resolved until the terms of any division of assets are contained within a court order. That may be some considerable time after your decree absolute is awarded. It will depend on how amicable or acrimonious the split from your partner has been, and whether you manage to reach an agreement between you or whether, in the end, the judge has to determine the outcome. It will also depend on how complicated your financial situation is.

The good news is that wherever possible and practical to do so, the court will seek an agreement that achieves a clean break so that eventually both parties can move on.

Andrew Isaacs Solicitors specializes in divorce and financial remedy proceedings. For expert advice on your divorce and your financial settlement, get in touch to arrange an appointment.

Share this article

Blog Filters
Use our handy blog filters to find what you’re looking for quickly. Search by category or tag.

Filter blog

Contact us

Head Office:
Andrew Isaacs Law Ltd
Unit 7, Atlas Business Park,
Balby Carr Bank, Doncaster,

01302 349 480

Melton Mowbray Office:
Pera Business Park,
Nottingham Road,
Melton Mowbray,
Leicestershire, LE13 0PB

01664 896 218

Gainsborough Office:
Mercury House Business Centre,
Willoughton Drive,
Foxby Lane Business Park,
DN21 1DY

01427 318 112

Leighton Buzzard Office:
Market House
25 Market Square
Leighton Buzzard

01525 574 473

Call us now, our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 01302 349 480 or fill out our enquiry form here